The beginnings of the organ history of the Abbey Church in Steinfeld go back to 16th Century. The first organ was either a swallow's nest organ on the north nave wall or on the jube screen (as jube-organ), which was under the third bay till 1509 when it was then transported back to the entrance bay of the basilica.
There was probably built the first large organ by Floris Hoque (Brabant) around 1600. In a source from 1701 is stated that this organ (presumably with 17 registers) could compete with all organs in city of Cologne, with the exception of the cathedral organ. In 1678, the Norbertine brother Michael Pirosson built a new eight foot registered main cage with heavy Baroque décor. After 1720, the Canon Norbert Windheiser added a Choir Organ (Rückpositiv) and two pedal towers in the gallery balustrade.
Using the old pipes stocks (17 registers) King Balthasar accomplished from Bad Münstereifel a 1727 organ with 29 registers. Marked with wooden dummies pedal towers until 1879 were independent pedal stops.
As a result of secularization in 1802 the Premonstratensian abbey was canceled. The monastery buildings were confiscated and auctioned, the present basilica was retained as the parish church. However, the parish did not have the means to maintain the old cultural heritage as it would have been desirable and necessary. As well as the damage to the organ became larger, major repairs were not possible, but - seen later a stroke of luck - the organ was not significantly changed in substance.
1923 took over the Salvatorianer the former Abbey and renewed the monastic buildings. The diocese led by large-scale restoration of the basilica.
1934, the company expanded Klais, Bonn, on the organ register 46, electrified the game and key and thus made an instrument from the baroque spirit of the times romantic organ.
Because the organ malfunctions had to be decommissioned in 1977. The organ builder J. Weimbs, Hellenthal, was entrusted with the restoration of the organ. She succeeded, after much research they restore to its original state in 1727, as for playing techniques and sound. The organ today is a living witness of an exemplary restoration and organ experts now enjoys a reputation that extends worldwide dimensions.
With 35 registers and 1956 pipes, the Basilica Steinfeld has the largest surviving historical baroque three-manual organ of the Rhineland.
Church music director Viktor Scholz writes in the report for the restoration: "The organ workshop Weimbs must certify that it is one of the best organ makers in Germany. She sensed the secret of the precious stone fields organ in painstaking and amazing empathy. She has let high, one of the most valuable assets artisanal organs of the Rhineland repeats it, believed by many, she was silenced and lost forever."